This is a very tasteful, simple and healthy recipe. You can enjoy it lukewarm, having had time to rest, but also straight from the oven.
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 3 peppers (green, red or yellow).
- 2 large tomatoes.
- 2 medium aubergines.
- 2 green courgettes.
- 3 tbsp olive oil.
- 2 large onions finely chopped.
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 400gr/14oz long-grained rice, rinsed.
- Large handful flatleaf parsley.
- Large handful fresh mint.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3.
- Start by preparing the vegetables for stuffing. Cut the tops off the peppers and tomatoes to create lids, set the tops aside. Scoop out the pepper seeds and discard. Scoop out the tomato flesh and seeds and reserve in a large bowl. Cut the aubergines and courgettes lengthways and scoop out the seeds and flesh inside, leaving a boat-shaped shell ready to fill. You can also cut the top off the courgette and scoop out its flesh.
- Arrange the vegetable shells on a roasting tin or ovenproof dish and spoon the rice mixture into them. Place the lids on the peppers and tomatoes and drizzle them all with olive oil. Add some water on the roasting tin or dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for another 15–30 minutes until the vegetables and rice are cooked.
Enjoy your meal!